Question related to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964

Asked 11 months ago - San Diego, CA

Does post-employment retaliation in the form of a SLAPP suit violate Title VII if the SLAPP refer to discriminatory lending practices alleged by the former employee?

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . A statutorily-enabled lawsuit on SLAPP or any other grounds will not be found to itself constitute actionable retaliation. Everyone, individuals and business entities, is entitled to exercise their statutory rights to legal process.

2. Joseph Wayne Rose

Pro

2

Answered . Your question is unclear and more information is needed.

Whether by "SLAPP suit" you mean a lawsuit brought with the intention of discouraging protected speech, etc., or a special motion to strike in defense of such a lawsuit (i.e., an "antiSLAPP motion"), neither would by itself amount to a civil rights violation because of something called the "litigation privilege" and for other reasons.

By the way, in California we generally look primarily at the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) to remedy civil rights claims in employment rather than the federal Title VII because the FEHA tends to have broader protections.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Pro

2

Answered . No

Licensed & have offices in PA & NJ ONLY. (Philadelphia, PA & Marlton, NJ)