Question regaurding Me Being a tribal Member Of An Indian tribe in Ca. and how i can obtain rights and willed alotment

Asked over 1 year ago - Crescent City, CA

Infact I am 6th Generation Of Chief Tenaya Of the Me-Wuk Tribe tht was taken out of Yosemite ca, My Grandfather Lived On the Resrvation and when he passed He Left a Will thats not being granted Which Was the house and Property of 9 acres Shall go to Next of Kin, which now would be me, Since dad passed in 08 from prostate cancer, if anyone should of saw anything from the tribe and our people Should have been dad now im picking up the fight where he left off Its not right what they have done and are still doing everyone ive spoken with says i have a great case just dont know wht steps to take and getting some help in this any help in this would be greatly appreciated and thank you for you time and consideration in reading this

1. Anthony Wallace Norton

1

1

Answered . If the tribal government will not provide you with a list of allottees and tribal land ownership, then you may try the Office of Special Trustee to get the Individual Trust Interest report. If your grandfather owned an interest in allotted land, this report will confirm the information. A good starting point would be the Fiduciary Trust Officer at the Office of Special Trustee at the Pacific Region Office in Sacramento. They may be curious as to why your grandfather's will was never probated if it wasn't.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . There are a surprising number of attorneys in California who are experienced in Native American law: http://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?utf8=✓...

3. John Scott Swimmer

1

1

Answered . You first need ascertain the status of the allotment. Most allotments are governed by the tribal governing authority. Contact the BIA and request a Tribal Status Report with the property description to determine the present status. You may need to probate the estate to enforce the will. You may need to start an action to enforce your property rights. Tribal property disputes are extremely complicated and require a highly skilled attorney. These disputes can be expensive