Question regarding serving in small claims court

I had to have my court date post poned because i was out of town during the first court date, and when i came back from the trip and tried to serve him but the defendant had changed address, so i tried to get into contact with him but he intentionally ignored my attempts, so i tried the address correction through the mail service and nothing came up, so i had hired a private detective but by the time they were finished i was already on the last day to serve him, but nobody was home when i had tried to have him served, will the court allow me to postpone the court date, what other measures can i take regarding this.

Torrance, CA -

Attorney Answers (2)

Adrienne Patricia Allen

Adrienne Patricia Allen

Mediation Attorney - Grass Valley, CA

You might call the court's self help center. They should have someone there to advise you on eir procedures to notify the court of all youhave attempted to do and how to achieve service. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general... more
Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Litigation Lawyer - Montclair, CA

Show up at the hearing and explain it to the judge. They will usually give you a continuance to get it served.

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.