Question regarding Court Disposition Received today

My charge was downgraded from Shoplifting to Town Ordinance. Today I received secaucus court disposition which has the original shoplifting offense with narratives and it says Amended Charge 94-1. Quick question: What is that code mean? And when an employer run my criminal background check, Will the original charge and narratives will be shown? Or just the downgraded offense? In addition, I am filling an application for pharmacy technician license. The application is asking:"Have you ever been convicted of any crime?" Should I answer Yes or No according to my downgraded charge and court disposition? Thank you so much.

Jersey City, NJ -

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Madison, WI

I am guessing that the Amended Charge 94-1 refers to the ordinance of conviction.

I do not know what an employer will see. In part it will depend on how thorough the background check is. If they know how to read it, it will tell them that you were convicted of a town ordinance, not a crime.

Based on this conviction, alone, you have not been convicted of a crime.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Criminal Defense Attorney - Union, NJ

Even shoplifting is not a "crime" in NJ it is a disorderly person's offense. So "no" seems ok for that question. But I think other language on the app. requires full disclosure. Anyway the citation is a municipal ordinace (town law). Only 2C (NJ criminal code) charges are entered on the CCH. So the 2C:20-11 shoplifting arrest is likely on there but the conviction for a MO is likely not. I have seen MOs on the CCH but it is very rare. You can expunge in 2 years.