Question on employment and election law...

Marietta, OH |

I live in Ohio but work in West Virginia. The election is on Tuesday and I do not want to miss my chance to vote. According to election law in OH, I am to be given leave reasonable for me enough to vote and return to work. WV law states that I must give three days notice to my employer of my intent to vote. If I do not have three hours of non-working time while the polls are open, the employer is to grant the request without penalty. My question is, would this fall under Ohio law since the election is in Ohio, or would this fall under West Virginia law since the law is more aimed at employers than at employees? Thank you!

1. Your employer would follow the state voting leave laws in its own state, West Virginia. You are correct that this means that with three (3) days written notice, an employer must allow you up to three (3) hours of leave in order to vote.

Lori A. Strobl
    Strobl & Associates, Co LPA
    1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
    Centerville, Ohio 45459
    www.strobllaw.com
    (937) 496-1450

This website contains general information only. The information contained in this website is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice on any subject matter or intended as advertising or a solicitation. Readers should not rely on the information presented on this website for any purpose without seeking legal advice on the specific facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney in the reader’s state. The information in this website contains general information which is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Any representation or warranty that might be otherwise implied is expressly disclaimed. Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information contained in this website. Readers should not consider the information presented on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and the transmission of such information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, and attorney-client relationship between the reader and Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. or to its attorneys at the e-mail addresses set forth in this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. Readers should be aware that communications via the Internet may not be secure. Strobl & Associates Co., L.P.A. does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.

2. The employer is subject to the laws of the State of West Virginia, which is where it is located. Regardless of the laws, many employers are often willing to permit their employees to vote, so you may just want to speak with your supervisor next time you wish to vote.

Good luck!

No attorney-client relationship is established via AVVO.com. The material posted by Kyle J. Bristow, Esq., is for educational purposes for prospective clients only and people should not make legal decisions based on it. You are advised not to take, or refrain from taking, any action based on what Mr. Bristow has stated on this website.

Election law topics