Question on court cost involving dui

Asked 9 months ago - Johnson City, TN

I was recently in court for a DUI. The DA and state trooper admitted that the stop was bad by the state trooper. I plead to a reckless driving ticket which is being removed with diversion at end of probation of 6 months. (I blew a .16 and my attorney was scared to move forward and the state offered him this deal). I received my court cost today in the mail and I was charged $250 dollars for a "blood, alcohol, urine testing. " Since I wasn't convicted of a DUI but instead a reckless driving, should I still be charged for the testing ? Thanks!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ethan Patrick Meaney


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Thanks for clarifying your location. Try calling the court clerk to discuss the costs. However, if you had an attorney you should contact them to discuss. If you want to locate one in your area here on AVVO you can select "Find a Lawyer" at the top of the page. Good luck.

  2. Curt Perri Bogen


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is usually normal as a trade-off. You pay the Court costs, if there is a limited but weak basis for the charge, and the case gets dismissed or diverted. It's a compromise. These are costs, not fines--it's a reimbursement. Be Careful out there. Good Luck.

    The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect... more
  3. Anna K. Woods


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Washington there is a BAC(breath test) fee. If the defense attorney and prosecuting attorney reach an agreement, the fee is almost always part of the agreement even when charges are reduced. I concur that you should contact your attorney

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,765 answers this week

2,980 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary