Question on a restraining order and its restrictions...

Bloomfield, NJ |

I have a friend (person A) who was granted a restraining order against another friend (person B) after an altercation they had in another country. Person A lived there at that time, and person B was nearby because of a family emergency. Person A has now moved back to NJ, while Person B lives in CT. If Person B is visiting my home in NJ, and Person A finds out they are in the state, can person A have the restraining order enforced? I live about 3 miles from Person A.

I doubt that the RO prohibits B from coming to NJ. If it does, B needs to sit down with an experienced DV lawyer licensed in NJ and discuss whether the restrictions are too broad. I assume by 'country' you mean 'county'. B just needs to abide by the restrictions contained in the RO.

Hi Howard, no, I meant Country. Somehow Person A was able to get some sort of RO that allows them to go abroad (to the US) and have it still be enforced. Not too sure of the particulars but that is my understanding. Thanks for responding.

Howard Woodley Bailey

Howard Woodley Bailey

The problem will be that it is the particulars that need to be checked out to determine what that other Court said, and whether it will be enforced here. B just needs to abide by the restrictions in the RO, or possibly have them reviewed here in NJ to see if they may be violated by being at your house. No way to tell without someone actually looking at the RO itself.

More information is needed. Enforced or served? I do not see how being in the sane state can violate anything.

Not sure, but Person A is the type of person that will go out of their way to put themselves in the vicinity of Person B if they know that person is close by. Hence my question.