Skip to main content

Question concerning Co-owned car with no liens on it.

Sandersville, GA |

My girlfriend recently left me and took our car in which is jointly owned by the both of us.(No liens on car)(Titled in both our names in Georgia)This has left me with no transportation as well as to say very upset.What legal options do I have to gain back half of the car's monentary value.The car is valued at 12,000.00 dollars.

I already know it is a mistake to place two names on a title if you arent't married,so I am only interested in what I can do to set the car in motion to be sold and the money from it to be split by both of us.Thank you for any advice that you can give me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


GO to the court, file a suit. Obtain an order (injunction) preventing her from selling the vehicle and then in the petition also seek relief that she sell the property and share the proceeds. Move quickly before she sells the property and get a lawyer. You can ask the judge to require that she repay your attorney fees.

Provided by the Law offices of Caryn S. Fennell and Associates. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be created through the comments provided on this website.


It may cost you thousands of dollars, but you can take her to court and attempt to persuade the court to divide the car (probably by selling it).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated my office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer