Question and released for domestic violence

Olympia, WA |

And then went to hospital only for the police to say I was charged with domestic violence. But earlier the police said I wasn't being charged. I was the free to go. Why didn't he arrest me if he told me I was charged?

Charges can be filed with the court, even if you are not arrested.

These are serious charges, with far-reaching consequences. Consult an experienced attorney ASAP.

Legal disclaimer: [In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]

Police may not have grounds to arrest you at one time, then get them with more information later. Get an attorney to assist you in defending the case.

The police have broad discretion in their arrest decisions. Even on a domestic violence with mandatory arrest the Officer has discretion again after a certain amount of time. You may not have been charged earlier merely because they did not have the paperwork prepared yet. Contact an attorney right away. A DV charge can haunt your career, housing applications and life.
At your service,