Question about who my attorney is suing.

Asked about 1 year ago - Riverside, CA

I was in a multiple car accident, and my attorney wrote this at the head of the case for one of the people in the accident: HAPPY GILMORE & Associated Unnamed Car Insurance Company, DOES I through XI inclusive and ROE BUSINESS ENTITIES I through XI, inclusive. Attorney: Great Attorney, 777 Park Dr. #100, Anytown, CA 89999 Now, am I suing Happy Gilmore (personally so that I can go after his personal assets) AND his insurance company or just his insurance company?

1. Steven Ronald Kuhn

16

Answered . You sue the individual who caused the accident. Their insurance company defends them and pays any judgment or settlement up to their policy limits.

2. Alex Joseph Tramontano

13

Answered . Assuming you are redacting the names above and filling them with generic ones, I agree with my fellow colleague. In a normal lawsuit for personal injuries you as the plaintiff would sue the defendant personally they would hand the claim over to their insurance company, and the insurance company would step in to defend them and possibly pay a portion of or all of the judgment. But, the insurance company is normally not a party to the lawsuit. The doe and roe defendants are there as placeholders in case later on you find out there is another party liable for the injuries.

3. Joseph Leonard Ciaccio

12

Answered . You are suing the actual person - however the person's insurance company will cover the litigation costs and any settlement/verdict costs - within their policy limits.

4. Joseph John Bernardo

Pro

9

Answered . Your attorney is bringing suit against that driver individually and the insurance company. Generally, only the insurance company policy coverage is sought and the personal assets of a driver or owner are not. There are exceptions to this, however, such as a claim for punitive damages.

5. Stephen M. Young

9

Answered . Yes, it sounds like you are suing Happy Gilmore. In a typical personal injury case, as the injured party, you will sue all of the people who are responsible for causing the accident. If they have auto insurance, the auto insurance carrier will act as their defense counsel. When you have questions about your case, please ask your attorney what it means. They should be happy to take a few minutes and explain what they are doing. Best of luck!

6. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

6

Answered . I think my colleagues may not be understanding what's happening here. Your attorney, who has a sense of humor, does not yet know the identity of at least one of the other drivers and/or their employers, so he/she is naming them fictitiously until such time as their identities are known. After that, he/she will amend the complaint to reflect their real names. Don't worry about it.

7. Robert Bruce Kopelson

6

Answered . It is not usual for the pltf to name the deft's ins co as a defendant in the lawsuit. It is common to use fictitious "Does" and "Roes" in the suit so you can easily add other defts if/when needed.

Pro

5

Answered . The person, not carrier.