Question about what constitutes a witness affidavit. When a 3rd party writes an affidavit for immigration purposes

Hemet, CA |

do they have to be a direct witness to any event concerning their marriage or not. For example, if someone who has not seen the USC spouse in life and writes certain things about him in her witness affidavit to help out the immigrant spouse when she is filing her waiver, and those statements are untrue, is the person who submitted the affidavit liable for her words or not. To further elaborate on this let me put it this way too....to what extent that witness affidavit writer has to be directly aware of the situation or an event to assume the responsibility of providing an affidavit. In my situation, I do not know that lady as she's only the friend of my ex, but the things she has written is as if she actually lived with us, so that makes it obvious that my wife has dictated to her what to

write because having been living in a far away state, there is no way that she would be a 'witness' to anything that was going on between my ex and I unless the ex told her what to write to damage me. This is why I want to understand the legal and universal definition of what constitutes a witness affidavit.

This is an immigration question regarding testimony by affidavit and not a criminal law question. I recommend reposting under immigration.

DUI is the only category that was given to me.

This is not a DUI question. If you want an accurate response you need to post in a correct category. Witness affidavits in general, though, are sworn to be truthful. A properly completed affidavit would contain language to the effect of "I, Name, under penalty of perjury under the laws of the state STATE, swear the the information contained is true and correct to the best of my knowledge." Not only would that be bad for her, but it may come back and show negatively on you.

Any information provided through Avvo.com in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.

I know, but the DUI is what I was given as an option in here, so that's why it is posted in here. The statement form that lady did not start as you mentioned, and she basically accuses me of hitting on her when we have never met, so not sure how to combat her claims because they are doing it to make me look bad so that she can get her green card.

This is not really an immigration question though framed as one. In any state and Federal jurisdiction, an affidavit is a sworn statement by a person who provides information to the best of his or her knowledge or ability including as to the source of such information. If the affidavit is not based on first hand knowledge, it is a hearsay. Hearsay is allowed in immigration context as long as the source of the information is clearly identified and a witness is available for cross examination, the affidavit is properly executed, provided as document for agency and not immigration court processing and/or the witness is classified as unavailable to testify.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.