Question about the duties of two co-trustees

New York, NY |

A trust has two trustees.

It comes to light that the trust has not been paying state taxes on trust capital gains.

Question: Are both trustees equally responsible for this omission. If one trustee is passive and the other is the active administrator, is the passive trustee equally responsible.

In this case, the active trustee has died. I want the passive trustee to pay the penalties and interest on the back taxes out of his own personal funds not the funds of the trust. He is blaming the co-trustee who died for making the mistake because, he says, the deceased trustee controlled the trust administration of the trust during the time they were co-trustees..

Both trustees have an equal fiduciary duty to manage the trust assets. Just being passive does not shield from liability. I would suggest consulting an attorney here. Good luck.

Materials on this website have been designed to provide useful background information about Law Offices of Thomas Sciacca, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Law Offices of Thomas Sciacca, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, made through this website may not be secure, confidential, or privileged. The information provided in this website should not be considered to be an invitation to an attorney-client relationship and you should not rely on any information provided at this website for any purpose. For legal advice, you should consult with a qualified attorney. Selecting the best attorney for you is an important and personal decision and should not be based solely on the information contained on this website.

Unless specified otherwise in the trust documents, each trustee has equal responsibility and accountability.

I agree with my colleagues. Although Im licensed in NY, I practice in California. In California the code specifically provides that a co-trustee has a duty to seek to redress breaches of a co-trustee. There is no recognizable "Ostrich" defense.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Wills and estates topics