Question about simple possession (marijuana) and paraphernalia.

Clarksville, TN |

My 18 year old son was arrested for simple possession and paraphernalia. The bond was $1,000.00.
I was told by quite a few people that is a really low bond amount. I am just curious............is that a really low bond amount for those charges in Tennessee?

Simple possession and paraphernalia charges in Tennessee normally require a citation and release of the accused, unless some exception applies. In any event, your bond amount is par for the course. TCA 40-11-105 provides that "...in no event may a clerk set the amount of bail in excess of ... $1,000 if the defendant was charged with a misdemeanor" unless the defendant is deemed a flight risk.

Normally a pot charge is released without bond on a misdemeanor citation. It's not a high bond but I wonder why no citation release. Are you sure it was a misdemeanor charge?

Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.

yes sir it was a misdemeanor charge

Claiborne Hambrick Ferguson

Claiborne Hambrick Ferguson

Strange. Maybe they don't use citationrelease much.

It is not an unusually high bond for a misdemeanor.

This communication does not create an attorney/client relationship. My answers are intended for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf without a written retainer agreement. I am licensed only in Tennessee. Therefore, if you are outside the state of Tennessee, it is recommended that you consult an attorney in your jurisdiction.

Yes but I was actually asking if it was a low bond.