Question about sales - online documents

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

Is it legal to compile a set a legal documents and sell them online? IE "Complete Divorce Kit" or "Child Custody Step-by-Step" ....?

1. Pamela Koslyn

8

Best Answer

Answered . Yes. Legal Zoom does it, as do others. There's currently litigation about LegalZoom's apparent practicing law without a license, but that aside, I'd note that very few legal matters can be done _properly_ without a lawyer, and you may not find out until it's too late - such as a Will that doesn't accomplish what's intended, and you're dead and never know, a writer's collaboration agreement that should have been a work for hire agreement, a trademark application that should have been a service mark application, etc., etc.

Sure, anyone can fill out forms, but knowing which forms to use, and how to fill them out so that they're actually recognized by a court and effective to accomplish what the client intends are completely different issues. I know I have plenty of clients who have wasted money on the LegalZoom forms that are right for what they are, but are wrong for my (formerly their) clients.

Also, you need to clear whatever name you choose to make sure it's viable and available. Trademark conflicts are common these days, and the wrong choice can get you sued, and/or cause you to change your business's name.

2. Frank Anthony Natoli

Pro

6

1

Answered . Hi,

It is not illegal in and of itself. There are countless companies that sell these type of DIY legal kits and contract templates, etc.

Where you need to be careful is where this may fall into a category know as Unlicensed Practice of Law. Different states have different standards for what constitutes UPL.

In CA, for example, Legal Zoom and other providers of similar services operate under a special designation, something like a document preparer, that allows them to legally prepare documents and assist in preparing legal docs but without dispensing any specific legal advice. If that sounds strange and darn near impossilbe you are correct. But that is the way it is for now anyway. Legal Zoom has had legal problems in some states as well so there is no bright line here. And I am just using them as one example because everyone knows who they are.

You should probably consult a lawyer before making any investment just so you clearly understand the limits of what you can do here.

All the best,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

1

Answered . There are a lot of companies that do something like that. But, it could be considered practicing law without a license. So, yes, you can do it up to a point.