Question about intermediate driver's license suspension in WA state.

My son received a 1st violation while driving on an intermediate drivers license in WA State for having a person in the car under the age of 20 who was not a family member. He then received a 2nd violation for failure to fully stop at a stop sign. I unfortunately did not have him fight either violation and now I have received a notice that his license will be suspended for 6 months. Is there anything at all I can do about this now or is the suspension a done deal? I spoke with a customer service representative at the DOL and they said that for intermediate license suspensions you will probably not win if you appeal. He just started a full time job over the summer and unfortunately he will not be able to get to and from work.

Tacoma, WA -

Hussein Karmali

Hussein Karmali

Speeding / Traffic Ticket Lawyer - Redmond, WA

My understanding of the rules surrounding the intermediate driver license is that the six month suspension must be waited out at which point, assuming the infractions have been paid, the driver would be eligible to reinstate their license after paying the reissue fee and then complying with the remaining statutory requirements.You could certainly see about appealing this suspension but there are no guarantees unfortunately.

Travis S Jones

Travis S Jones

Criminal Defense Attorney

If the underlying infractions have been found committed, the only thing a licensing review will do is check the DOL records to make sure they didn't have a mistake in the file. So, no. Not much to do. If you can find a good infraction attorney they may be able to have the finding of committed vacated on the most recent ticket and have it amended. This is not easy.

Related Advice