Question about interlock reinstatement!

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Collins, CO

I was capable of getting my license back on august 29th, after more than 2 years without a license, this is my second offense. My question is, on the .gov website about interlock it says if I refuse I only have to have interlock in my device for 1 year. Why do they make everyone do 2 years with it in their cars? I am looking at going to grad school in a year and would like to see if there is any legal way for me to only hold this in my car for 1 year.

Here are 2 sites that list 2 conflicting things.

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/transport/state-ignition-interlock-laws.aspx

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1188338057330

1. James C Forslund

6

Answered . You are misreading their misleading information. It is two years.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

6

Answered . The rule is 2 years. Period.

3. Rhidian David Watson Orr

4

Answered . All multiple offenders are classified as "Persistent Drunk Drivers" by statute. All "Persistent Drunk Drivers" must obtain interlock for a minimum of 2 years, sr22 for a minimum of 3 years and enroll in and complete alcohol education and therapy classes as a mandatory requirement for driver's license reinstatement. This requirement is mandatory and cannot be bypassed or reduced unless, you become a resident of another state and then submit the appropriate paperwork to reinstate as a non-resident or unless you reinstate in Colorado as a "non-owner".

If you want to drive in Colorado, then you need to meet the mandatory requirements.

4. Ethan Patrick Meaney

Pro

3

Answered . Mr. Deasy and Forslund are experienced DUI attorneys. They would know the applicable law to your situation. Unfortunately it sounds like two years. Good luck with grad school.

This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.