Question about interlock reinstatement!

Asked 11 months ago - Fort Collins, CO

I was capable of getting my license back on august 29th, after more than 2 years without a license, this is my second offense. My question is, on the .gov website about interlock it says if I refuse I only have to have interlock in my device for 1 year. Why do they make everyone do 2 years with it in their cars? I am looking at going to grad school in a year and would like to see if there is any legal way for me to only hold this in my car for 1 year.

Additional information

Here are 2 sites that list 2 conflicting things.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. James C Forslund

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are misreading their misleading information. It is two years.

  2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The rule is 2 years. Period.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  3. Rhidian David Watson Orr

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . All multiple offenders are classified as "Persistent Drunk Drivers" by statute. All "Persistent Drunk Drivers" must obtain interlock for a minimum of 2 years, sr22 for a minimum of 3 years and enroll in and complete alcohol education and therapy classes as a mandatory requirement for driver's license reinstatement. This requirement is mandatory and cannot be bypassed or reduced unless, you become a resident of another state and then submit the appropriate paperwork to reinstate as a non-resident or unless you reinstate in Colorado as a "non-owner".

    If you want to drive in Colorado, then you need to meet the mandatory requirements.

    The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian... more
  4. Ethan Patrick Meaney


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mr. Deasy and Forslund are experienced DUI attorneys. They would know the applicable law to your situation. Unfortunately it sounds like two years. Good luck with grad school.

    This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now