Question about interlock reinstatement!

Fort Collins, CO |

I was capable of getting my license back on august 29th, after more than 2 years without a license, this is my second offense. My question is, on the .gov website about interlock it says if I refuse I only have to have interlock in my device for 1 year. Why do they make everyone do 2 years with it in their cars? I am looking at going to grad school in a year and would like to see if there is any legal way for me to only hold this in my car for 1 year.

Here are 2 sites that list 2 conflicting things. http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/transport/state-ignition-interlock-laws.aspx http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1188338057330

You are misreading their misleading information. It is two years.

The rule is 2 years. Period.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Mr. Deasy and Forslund are experienced DUI attorneys. They would know the applicable law to your situation. Unfortunately it sounds like two years. Good luck with grad school.

This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.

All multiple offenders are classified as "Persistent Drunk Drivers" by statute. All "Persistent Drunk Drivers" must obtain interlock for a minimum of 2 years, sr22 for a minimum of 3 years and enroll in and complete alcohol education and therapy classes as a mandatory requirement for driver's license reinstatement. This requirement is mandatory and cannot be bypassed or reduced unless, you become a resident of another state and then submit the appropriate paperwork to reinstate as a non-resident or unless you reinstate in Colorado as a "non-owner".

If you want to drive in Colorado, then you need to meet the mandatory requirements.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI