Question about I-184 affidavit of support. What should I put as sponsor's total income on Part 6, 13 (a)?

Asked 4 months ago - Chicago, IL

My husband (US. citizen) makes 38,000 (after tax) last year. I, the immigrant personally have a rental property in U.S. that brings $14,000 per year, no employment yet. We filed 1040 married filling jointly, the adjusted gross income is $51,000. Now he's filling the I-184 form, what should he put in Part 6 (13 a) for sponsor's income on Federal tax returns? $51,000 as record on the 1040 form or his wage? Do we need to provide the rental property info? The rental property only has my name on it as I bought it before we get married. Thanks a lot!

1. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . The Affidavit of Support is a very detailed federal form and may be confusing. Please read its instructions ah the USCIS. gov before submitting and if you need further assistance, present its details for a review with a counsel in person before mailing.

2. Scott Thomas Helsper

Pro

1

Answered . Unless your household exceeds 8 people your adjusted gross income will be sufficient. Here is the link to the affidavit of support requirements: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/...

3. Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Pro

Answered . That's I-864 (not I-184). If he is sponsoring only 1 person and using only his income to qualify, then he should put only his income of $38,000. I agree with my colleague that it would be in our best interest to sit down with a lawyer to make sure the information put on the form is accurate.