Question about extra fees charged from a hotel

Asked 4 months ago - Cooperstown, NY

My adult son (age 22) rented two hotel rooms in Cooperstown, NY for one night to see a concert. During the night, someone tried to assault my adult daughter (age 20). That person and my son got into a fight in the parking lot. police were called. no charges were filed. The hotel charged me (as I let him use my credit card) the cost of someone else s room who complained.about the noise-$201. They also said a TV was broken. they charged me an additional $400. My son states that the tV was not broken. I asked them to email me a picture. No one told me or my son of these extra charges, they just appeared on the bill. Is this legal, or is there something, I could do about it? Thank you.

1. Bruno Patrick Bianchi

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . You should call your credit card company to dispute the charges. While most hotel reservation agreements provide that the guest is responsible for any damage to the room, I have never seen an agreement that provides for a guest to pay for another's room charge under any circumstances.

The above constitutes general information only and should not be considered legal advice.
  2. Alisa Sondak

1

1

Answered . Definitely call your credit card company to dispute the charges.
    I have never seen a hotel charging someone's room rate on to another guest's credit card!
    If there was something broken inside of your son's hotel room, the hotel should have pointed this out immediately.
    I think that here the hotel took advantage of the fact that your children are young adults using their father's credit card and are traveling by themselves.