Question about Charge of Theft and Immigration, I was arrested for charge of theft but case was dismissed after I took class

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

This is how much final court disposition looks.
**Bond Set**
**Continuance by Order of Court**
**Case Advanced**
**Motion DEFT - Continuance - MD to Attend Theft DET PROG**
**DEF Demand for Trial**
**NOLLE PROSQUI
D COMP THEFT DET PROG

So this is how it looks, I checked with lawyer he mentioned no issues at all as it was nolle proesui however how immigration takes it?
Is there any way immigration takes this as conviction , I did not plea or anything just took class and this is how my court disposition looks.
If I travel to my country and come back what can I expect? Is there any chance they wont let me in back and consider this conviction?

I am an LPR and worried alot about it and need some guidance.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . Immigration takes it badly but you qualify under the petty offense exception.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

5

1

Answered . no issues at all

3. Steven Andrew Kozicki

2

1

Answered . I do these all the time and it is as good as a "not guilty" finding. You have to handle it properly in your immigration application and interview, or else you could muck it up. If I can be of assistance let me know. I also note that a couple of other lawyers have told you immigration takes this badly. You are in Chicago and I know that you went through the Theft deterrent school and had your case dismissed without admitting the facts alleged. I have had many similar cases in my practice, in Chicago,, including felony retail thefts, where the individual received a Green card, adjusted status to citizenship, or have traveled out if the country and back without trouble. The attorney that told you to bring a copy of your disposition with you to show POE that the case was dismissed gave you good advice. Do that and you will be fine

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney Segal.

One or more answers have been taken down.