Question about changing custody order.

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverside, NJ

I took our son in Nov of 2011 and moved from NC to NJ with him. I waited 6months and filed for custody in NJ. Since I marked J/C on the papers I filed we were granted joint legal custody and me as the (PPR). Father did not show up for court so there is no visitation in the order I let the father see our son in Dec 2012. Our son stayed with him for 2 weeks in NC. (First time he seen his dad in 13 months.) Now that our son is back home with me, he says he wants to live with his dad. (Son is 8 years old) I let our son talk to his dad on the phone and I hear the father telling him he needs to move back to NC and that he is going to bring him back home real soon. I am worried he is up to something, should I file for parenting time for him or sole custody.

1. Sarah Jennifer Jacobs

Pro

1

Answered . Interstate custody and parenting time disputes are very fact sensitive and are governed by multiple statutes, etc. You mentioned you filed in NJ; if you have an Order from this state regarding custody, that is the place to start. When you note you might "file for parenting time" for him, it is important to note that you should not take any affirmative steps without consulting with an attorney, experienced in family law, who can guide you. Custody and parenting time have relative burdens for each parent, and the interstate issue complicates those legal burdens further. You may harm yourself if you file an application, but although you were descriptive in your answer, many many facts remain outstanding. The language of the Order, the history of interaction between you and the father, the history of parenting time, etc. are all factors which bear upon your case and the steps which you should take next. I urge you to consult with an attorney who can best guide you.

2. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

Answered . This site is for general questions and answer. Your question is very fact specific to you, so a complete consultation is necessary.

3. Kenneth A White

Pro

Answered . It would appear that the child's father has no official parenting time and that you effectively, currently, hold all the cards. Absent the father seeking affirmative relief from the court you have the ability to grant or deny him parenting time. As you currently have control of the situation there is no need for you to file an application with the court seeking affirmative relief.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
    New Jersey Family Law Attorney
    732-819-9100

4. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . You may wish to consider doing nothing right now and seeing if the father files something. An 8 year old child is not going to be making custodial decisions anyway.