Question about buying a firearm in PA?

Pennsylvania |

I was charged with a misdemeanor of harassment as a juvenile (first and only offense) and I am now an adult and considering buying a rifle. I'm wondering if that charge would prevent me from purchasing and owning a firearm?

A convicted felon may not possess a firearm as a matter of federal law.

You were only charged with a misdemeanor. You have to be convicted of a felony before the questions of whether you may or may not possess a firearm even comes up.

I hope this helps.

Good luck to you.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

My colleague's answer is correct as far as it goes. There are also misdemeanors that will keep you from owning a gun under federal law, such as misdemeanor domestic violence. You say you were convicted of harassment. If it was harassment of a family member or girlfriend you could have a problem.

Your post says you were only charged with a misdemeanor, right?