Skip to main content

Question about a Judge and Support and Modification in NY State....

Union, NJ |

Ok i'll try to make this as brief as I can. I am going through Support court,in upstate NY.I went in September, my payment are $300 a month, and also,for a amount me and my lawyer are disputing. They set a undertaking for the arrerage for $1500, which was more than i owed for non payment (i had missed 4 payments) I didnt have the money at the time, so I was jailed, then a week later, was released after posting this now in November, we had a court date for the violation of non-payment, of which Support and the Court asked me
if i wanted to put the $1500 towards Support, to which i replied"yes".

We had a court date set, then Hurricane Sandy hit the week BEFORE my court date.I was at home in New JErsey with my mom. I told my lawyer to get an adjournment as we took damage to the house, were with out power, and it was basically unsafe for travel. My lawyer went in front of the judge, asked for the adjournment, and the Judge REFUSED and said we need proof. I then got a signed statement from a Fireman stating it's unsafe for travel, got my copy of my FEMA application to show as proof, sent my lawyer pictures of the house and car that were damaged, and sent my lawyer a copy of a voicemail left by the Senator in my mom's city, that it was unsafe for travel.

Attorney Answers 1


It appears you are seeking advice regarding a matter before the courts of New York. If yes, you should be posting your inquiry in a Forum in New York not here (New Jersey).

Kenneth A. White, Esq.

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics