Question

so even if the person doesnt fire their lawyer before their sentencing date can he still appeal his case

Bronx, NY -

Howard A. Schwartz

Howard A. Schwartz

Criminal Defense Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

Your question is not clear. Appeals can be made once a case is completed. Sometimes the grounds for an appeal are limited if defendant has waived his or her right as part of a plea agreement. An attorney would need more facts to answer the question completely.

Edwin Drantivy

Edwin Drantivy

You need to list some more facts for a clearer answer.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Best to sit down with a criminal defense lawyer to discuss in depth the situation. Your fact pattern is incomplete.

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Criminal Defense Attorney - Poughkeepsie, NY

If you terminate your attorney, you represent yourself or get another one appointed or hired. Since you are post-plea but not sentenced, you are not yet convicted. You can appeal after you are sentenced. Unless the court did something seriously wrong related to your firing your attorney and then proceeding to sentence, that factor should have no effect on the merits of a potential defense. You always have the right to appeal if timely noticed after conviction (i.e. within 30 days), even if your appeal has no merit.