Skip to main content

Question, if a motorist drives his vehicle on my property and destroys a brick wall, leave his tire prints in my yard,

28214 |

from the back of curb to the corner of my house and destroys my yardlights and hit my vehicles am I entitled to some type of compensation

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Sure you are entitled to compensation. Depending upon the amount of damage you may want to sue in small claims court or hire a lawyer to handle your case. Take pictures.

  2. Yes. Presuming you can identify the motorist, you should be able to recover for the actual cost of repairs for the damage - the motorist's automobile liability policy will be involved.

    If the motorist doesn't have insurance, you can file a claim for the property damage done to your vehicles with your insurance company and the "collision coverage" provided by your policy; you can still pursue a recovery from him for damage to your yard but it is unlikely the motorist has anything to reimburse you for the repairs to your yard.

  3. Yes, the standard auto policy contains liability coverage for property damage. In most car wreck cases, this coverage would be invoked to make repairs to damaged vehicles; however, it is also broad enough to cover damage to other personal property, such as "fixtures" on your property (like a brick wall), or even your house, or utility poles, guardrails, etc, etc, etc. Simply call the driver's insurance company and make a claim. You'll need to get estimates for repairs and provide the documentation.

  4. You have not given any information to suggest that they would not be responsible.

    In seeking an attorney on this site, beware of limiting your search to attorneys with a 10 rating, and carefully read the AVVO disclaimer regarding their rating system. There are certain factors that are given great weight which do not necessarily have any bearing on an attorney's experience, abilities, and results with certain types of cases. Accordingly, the rating numbers can be misleading. Also beware of basing your choice on the fee charged, as a low fee, depending on the skill, experience and determination of the specific attorney handling your case, could actually have an inverse relationship to the amount actually put in your pocket.

  5. You should be entitled to compensation but you will most likely have to identify the motorist. It would be best to hire a specialized local attorney and find out what your options are.

  6. Yes of course. But do you know who was driving the car? A license plate number? You will need to identify the person)s) who did this.

  7. Sure. Submit the claim to his insurance company, or you can let your homeowner's carrier sort it out if they won't pay.

  8. Yes. You should file a police report; the police department should investigate. You are entitled to compensation for the damage. If you know who caused the damage, his/her insurance will be on the hook. If you do not know, or if the person has no insurance, you should contact your homeowner's insurer.

    Benjamin Andrews is licensed to practice in Virginia only. The preceding is for information only and should not be construed as legal advice. Always call a lawyer directly for advice.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics