Question, if a motorist drives his vehicle on my property and destroys a brick wall, leave his tire prints in my yard,

Asked 7 months ago - 28214

from the back of curb to the corner of my house and destroys my yardlights and hit my vehicles am I entitled to some type of compensation

1. R. Alfred Patrick

7

Answered . Yes. Presuming you can identify the motorist, you should be able to recover for the actual cost of repairs for the damage - the motorist's automobile liability policy will be involved.

If the motorist doesn't have insurance, you can file a claim for the property damage done to your vehicles with your insurance company and the "collision coverage" provided by your policy; you can still pursue a recovery from him for damage to your yard but it is unlikely the motorist has anything to reimburse you for the repairs to your yard.

2. William David Owens

5

Answered . Yes, the standard auto policy contains liability coverage for property damage. In most car wreck cases, this coverage would be invoked to make repairs to damaged vehicles; however, it is also broad enough to cover damage to other personal property, such as "fixtures" on your property (like a brick wall), or even your house, or utility poles, guardrails, etc, etc, etc. Simply call the driver's insurance company and make a claim. You'll need to get estimates for repairs and provide the documentation.

3. John L. Schroeder

4

Answered . Sure you are entitled to compensation. Depending upon the amount of damage you may want to sue in small claims court or hire a lawyer to handle your case. Take pictures.

4. David Ian Schoen

Pro

2

Answered . You have not given any information to suggest that they would not be responsible.

5. Sean Cleary

2

Answered . You should be entitled to compensation but you will most likely have to identify the motorist. It would be best to hire a specialized local attorney and find out what your options are.

Pro

2

Answered . Sure. Submit the claim to his insurance company, or you can let your homeowner's carrier sort it out if they won't pay.

7. David A. Papa

1

Answered . Yes of course. But do you know who was driving the car? A license plate number? You will need to identify the person)s) who did this.

8. Benjamin Martin Andrews

Answered . Yes. You should file a police report; the police department should investigate. You are entitled to compensation for the damage. If you know who caused the damage, his/her insurance will be on the hook. If you do not know, or if the person has no insurance, you should contact your homeowner's insurer.