Queries regarding change of status from H4 to F1

Asked 6 months ago - Elizabeth City, NC

Hi,

I have an admit for MS - CS Fall 2014 from UT Arlington. I am planning to enter USA on H4 Visa since my husband is on H1B and apply for change of status from there.
How long does it take for the change of status once applied? Also, once the status is changed to F1, am I eligible for the RAs/TAs without my passport being stamped?
Also if in the future if I need to change to H1B, will F1 stamping be required before that?

Regards,

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . You can seek to change your status but will need to pay a visit to the consulate to get a visa once you are outside of the USA and want to return on F visa.

2. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

Answered . it is permissible to enter as an H and change to F, CIS indicates they are taking about 2.5 months to make a decision.

3. Mary Nicole Morrison

Answered . Once you are in valid F-1 status, you are eligible to be employed on campus only. You do not need a visa in your passport, just the new I-94 card sent with the change of status approval. You can change your status to H-1B in the future without having an F-1 visa in your passport, but if you leave the US for any reason, you must get the appropriate visa to return from a US consulate overseas.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . You appear to be concerned about your lawful stay in the United States and wish to remain in the country legally. If that is in fact correct, delegate any of your issues to the counsel of record, as legally appropriate in this situation.