Qualifying to practice immigration law in USA

Asked 12 months ago - Palo Alto, CA

I am interested to practice law as an attorney in the USA. I have a UK law degree. How do I find out about conversions or routes to qualification here? Also, I am interested in immigration law. How does one "get in" to practice specifically in this area?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Kyndra L. Mulder


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to have an equivalent education to that required of attorneys in the USA and you must pass the bar in at least one state.

  2. Sholeh Iravantchi

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact the State Bar Association for specific requirements regarding admission. Each state has different admission requirements.

  3. David Joseph Trevino

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must be a member of the bar in at least one state. Contact the bar association in the state where you live for the requirements.

  4. Scott Richard Kaufman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As each atty noted, contact the state bar in that state and ask about how you may qualify. In addition, perhaps you can contact other Barristers who've done this? Good luck.

  5. John K Lassen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Take the exam


    John Lassen 1-877-252-4630

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,819 answers this week

3,136 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,819 answers this week

3,136 attorneys answering