Putting together photographic evidence for marriage based green card application/interview.

Seattle, WA |

When putting together photographic evidence of mine and my spouse's bonafide relationship, are certain photos more significant than others? I have photos of my spouse attending my mother's funeral 18 months prior to our getting married. Should I feature that as one of the first set of photos the immigration officer sees? I figured every couple can come up with photos of themselves together but these photos, I believe, serve as undeniable evidence of a bonafide relationship.

Here's the 'trick'. The person looking at the photo must what/where/when without you explaining anything.

Thus, a photo of your spouse in formal clothing probably won't automatically tell the officer that it was taken at a funeral.

I never use photos of the couple sitting at a restaurant with dirty dishes, wine glasses and/or beer bottles.

I love photos of the couple standing in front of the Eiffel tower, Seattle Space Needle, etc.

I usually print them 4 to a page ... in color.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Thanks for your response. I would make sure to indicate as such. Also, the pictures of my mom's casket and my spouse as one of the people standing in the background during the interment will also look obvious.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Good luck. Keep in mind that the officer is more interested in seeing joint bank, credit card, insurance, lease ... etc. ... for MORE than the most recent month(s).

Yes...we have joint lease for last two apartments covering 6 years, spouse is beneficiary on 2 life insurance policies (dating back 2 years), spouse is on my employer's medical/dental insurance (recent...after we got married), joint utility bill, joint rental insurance (last 2 years) I want to make sure we avoid that scary 2nd interview.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

I'm confused as to how you have so many year's worth of documents. Why didn't you file several years ago? I think you should consult with an attorney.

We are a same-sex couple and DOMA being recently overturned has made this all possible.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

I understand ... congratulations .... CIS in Portland just approved a 'batch' of cases yesterday.

I agree with the above. However, if his or her name was listed in the obituary or prayer card you should definitely include that.

My spouse is not in the obituary or the program but I do have photos of my mother's casket during the burial where you can clearly see my spouse as one of the people standing in the background.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Good suggestion.

It is a matter of common sense. You must demonstrate your courtship and shared experiences. Any photos that relate to that help, any others do not help. Multiple photos of the same thing do not help.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

I agree and would add that there shouldn't be more than 3 pages of photos.

Photos are very easy to fake. The two of you could have just had a weekend party and changed clothes and taken a bunch of photos. They don't put much stock in them, though they still like to see some. The helpful photos are ones with family members in them, and/or in front of monuments or signs to show the location of various trips together. If this were an "arrangement" for immigration purposes, people often don't tell their family, so they like to see the families know about it. They prefer joint financial evidence.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Marriage and prenups topics