Putting 3 water into a 3 flat - sub-meter the water meter

Asked about 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

My water bill is very high and continue be even higher as the city put in another 70% increase. I am thinking to put in water meters to each unit so that the tenants are going to pay for it. If is legal to do that if I stated on my lease. Can I pass on the sewer fee (1/3) as well.

1. Robert Jeffrey Long

Pro

Answered . Sure. You can add meters and pass-through the expenses to tenants. That's one of the ways the city expected to encourage water conservation. People who don't pay for utilities directly tend to use more of them than those who have a direct responsibility to pay the bill. You may wish to have a real estate lawyer look at your leases to make sure they say what you need them to say and say it in an enforceable manner.