Putting 3 water into a 3 flat - sub-meter the water meter

Chicago, IL |

My water bill is very high and continue be even higher as the city put in another 70% increase. I am thinking to put in water meters to each unit so that the tenants are going to pay for it. If is legal to do that if I stated on my lease. Can I pass on the sewer fee (1/3) as well.

Sure. You can add meters and pass-through the expenses to tenants. That's one of the ways the city expected to encourage water conservation. People who don't pay for utilities directly tend to use more of them than those who have a direct responsibility to pay the bill. You may wish to have a real estate lawyer look at your leases to make sure they say what you need them to say and say it in an enforceable manner.

Please be sure to mark the best answer to your question. My answers are general and do not form an attorney-client relationship. I'm happy to talk to prospective clients in my areas of concentration and geographical location.

Recommended articles about Real estate