Purchased property with tenants want to evict them.

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Ana, CA

I purchased a property in which the lease expired prior to owning. Tenants are on a month to month and have violated the lease terms such as changing locks. My question is do the lease terms still apply even if I am the new owner and they are on month to month.

1. Paul Francis Easlick

2

Answered . Yes. You take over for the previous landlord. You are responsible for the deposit.

You deal with the lock situation by serving a 3-day notice to cure or quit.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . It is not really possible to advise you without reviewing the actual lease in question. The general rule is that a new owner takes ownership of the property subject to any existing leases. Therefore, most likely, you are in the shoes of the prior owner and can serve them with a 3 day notice to perform covenant or quit and/or a 60 day notice of termination of tenancy to end the month to month tenancy.

3. Armen Garabedian

Answered . It is probably a good idea to have the lease reviewed by an attorney before finalizing a course of action.