Purchased a trailer on a rented lot and lot manager wont let me move in. what rights do i have?

Asked over 1 year ago - Canon City, CO

I just purchased this tailer from my mother. It was a private sale between us. The trailer sits in a mobile home park where the lot is rented. The manager of the park wants to submit me to a background check and credit check before I can be allowed to move into the trailer I own. If I am denied approval by the manager I cant move into the trailer I own. Also, in the lease of the lot it states that I am not allowed to make improvements to my own trailer. What rights do I have as the owner of the trailer?

1. John M Lassalette

Answered . You face a number of difficulties in the situation. First, you should submit your background and credit check information to see if the problem resolves itself. Second, if the mobile home park does not wish to rent to you, you face the prospect of moving the trailer, as my colleague stated. This is an expensive proposal, as I believe mobile home moving costs a minimum of $5000. Third, you may face the prospect of not being able to move your mobile home. In Colorado, a licensed mobile home mover is not allowed to move a mobile home of more than 25 years. Nearly all moving of mobile homes require a licensed mobile home mover. It is possible that your trailer may not require a license mover, but if it does, the mobile home must meet certain criteria for moving. If the mobile home is more than 25 years old based upon its registration, you will own a mobile home at a location where you cannot rent, and the home will not be eligible for moving. As for a prohibition on improvements to your trailer, this requires some clarification. Does the mobile home park owner mean that you would be unable to paint the interior or change a floor covering of the interior? Does the mobile home park owner mean that you must hire their approved contractors to make improvements? Or does the mobile home park owner mean that they wish to have their mobile homes fall into disrepair by prohibiting any and all improvements to them? I wish you well in the resolution of this matter, but you must proceed with manager of the park to determine what courses of action are available.

2. Cheryl Rivera Smith

Answered . You have the option to move the trailer to another park.