Skip to main content

Punitive Damages in Small Claims Auto case : Can I sue for $ 2278 in damages and up to the legal limit ( k ? 10-k ? )

Lake Forest, CA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I originally filed for only $ 2278 in damages , and the case was filed as small claims e $ 5 , 000 . I won , and Deft appealed . We go De Novo . If I win and prove bad faith - - 1 ) frivolous appeal 2 ) Deft lied about accident - - can I get punitive damages up to the legal limit ( K or 10-k ) over and above my $ 2278 in damages ?

Attorney Answers 1


No, you cannot get punitive damages. But if the appeal is frivolous, you can be awarded up to an additional $1000. You can also have an attorney represent you on appeal. You may want to look into that.

Mark as helpful

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics