Punishments under WA state criminal laws for forged signature on check

Seattle, WA |

My friend fordged a check for 1,000 dollars what kind of charges is he looking at?

1. Forgery, Petit larceny, bank fraud, Grand Larceny, criminal impersonation. That is off the top of my head. If I were you I would advise him to speak to a lawyer and have him work out repayment in exchange for not prosecuting.

2. In Washington, a person's sentencing range depends on the seriousness of the crime and his/criminal history.

For someone with no other felony convictions, the standard range for Forgery or Theft in the Second Degree (Over $250 and under $1500) is 0 - 60 days in jail. At the other end of the spectrum, someone with nine felony convictions is looking at 22-29 months in prison.

Your friend should seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney who can explain his options in greater detail.

Tim Leary
    Sherman & Leary PLLC
    http://www.shermanleary.com