Skip to main content

Punishment for possession of 10g marijuana on a California State University Campus (Cal Poly, SLO); age 19.

San Luis Obispo, CA |

What would the punishment (i.e., infraction, misdemeanor, driving suspension, fine) be for a possession of up to 14 grams of marijuana. I am specifically looking for an answer regarding California state law.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


10 g of marijuana is likely to be an infraction, which would include a fine. Whether you would lose your driving privileges depends on factors not known to this attorney so it would be pure speculation on my part. Good luck.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


Possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is an infraction. Fines are $100 but court fees will greatly increase the final amount due.


should be an infraction.. maybe do DEJ diversion so it will end in a dismissal. The fine should be 100.00 if an infraction HS1157(b). driving suspension should not be an issue but I am not 100% sure.. It generally would be if filed under vehicle code if you were driving.


Infraction if less than an ounce plus court fines and fees. Packaging of the marijuana could change the answer? Good luck. Hope this helps?


Possession of less than an ounce (28.5 grams) is Health & Safety Code section 11357(b). It is a misdemeanor, but can be "infracted." The max fine is $100. Those under 21 will lose their license for a year, even if you were not driving at the time. Ask to attend a Mothers Against Drunk Driving class in exchange for keeping your license (the court or judge controls this). Or ask for some form of informal diversion. Ask to plead to Disturbing the Peace (Penal Code section 415) instead to avoid the driver's license issue or even trespass (Penal Code section 602).


I suggest you contact some attorneys who practice Criminal Defense Law in San Luis Obispo County, where Cal Poly is located. How an offense is prosecuted can vary greatly from one county to another. San Luis Obispo tends to be a bit stricter than other counties -- just ask any current or former Cal Poly student, and I'm sure they can tell you some stories. But depending on your record and other factors, you might qualify for a program that results in a dismissal.
Best of luck,

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer