PULLED OVER FOR TAG LIGHT OUT BUT CAN PROVE WAS WORKING. NO POSSESION OF DL POSSESSION OF DRUGS IN SCHOOL ZONE. CAN CASE BE BEAT

Knoxville, TN |

CHARGED WITH DRUG FREE SCHOOL ZONE POSSESSION WITH INTENT TO SELL OR DELIEVER COCAINE MORE THAN .5GRAM IN VIOLATION OF TCA 39- 17- 417. AND CRIMINAL LITERING. HOWEVER WAS NOT WITHIN A SCHOOL ZONE.

1. A police officer must have reasonable suspicion that you committed an offense to pull you over. Otherwise, the stop is likely illegal, and any evidence found as a result of that stop could be suppressed. You should discuss all the details of what happened with a criminal defense lawyer to get a thorough opinion of that and any other legal issues which could help your case.

2. These charges are serious enough to where you need to discuss the particulars in detail with an attorney who practices criminal law in TN who can review these facts and advise you accordingly, whether you should plead guilty to a lesser charge or fight this case at trial against the prosecutor.

In the meantime, don't disucss the facts of your case with anyone until first speaking to an attorney. Good luck in court.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented.

3. If the officer did not have probable cause to stop you, then the stop is invalid and all evidence discovered as a result of the stop must be suppressed.

4. I agree with the answers provided by my colleagues. Your best move at this point is to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney to best prepare your defense, which will likely include a motion to suppress evidence.

5. As stated by above it is very important that you not discuss the facts of the case with anyone other than an attorney. In addition realize that there my not be a quick fix to this violation by the officer. It may be necessary to proceed through General Sessions Court and into Criminal Court in order to have this matter completely resolved. The attorney you meet with should explain this further to you.