Publishing Notice to Creditors

Asked about 3 years ago - Oakland, CA

My dad passed away. He had a living trust (which named me successor trustee), small estate, and the matter will not be probated. I understand that I have to notify any creditors that I am aware of. For the creditors that I am not aware of, I understand that I have to publish a notice to creditors in the local newspaper. A few questions:

1. Is there a form for the Notice to Creditors (with no probate)
2. If no form exists, what should the Notice say?
3. Do I have to quote any codes or sections?
4. What is the timeframe for the creditors to file a claim from the published Notice?

Thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Robert Weinstein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you had opened probate, the governing Probate Code section is 9050 et seq. and there is a Notice of Administration to Creditors form (DE-157).

    Trustees are not required to use the Code's creditor claims procedures. Failure to use the probate claims procedure forfiets the bar on creditor's claims in the probate code. Failure to use the probate claims procedure means that those receiving distributions from the trust will be liable for the amount they received from the trust in the payment of decedent's debts.

    You need to determine if the trust requires you to pay your father's debts. It is your option, but not required, to write to the creditors, inform them that your father has died, give them the account number and inform them that you are the representative of his estate and trustee of his trust. You really should seek guidance from a probate or estate planning attorney regarding your duties and whether you should give notice as trustee.

    The statute of limitation on claims by creditors is four years on written contracts. If you follow the probate code claims procedure, any creditor has one year to file a collection action.
    If you are the recipient of your father's assets (outside the trust), you are personally liable for your father's debts to the extent of the net value of the property received (Probate Code Section 13109). Suits on causes of action against you as the distributee which survive your father's death must be commenced within one-year after your father's death.

    I do not know what the amount of your father's debt is and what his assets are. I strongly recommend that you consult with a local probate or estate attorney to sort out what your next steps should be.

    Nothing contained in the information on this web site is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for... more
  2. Eliz C A Johnson

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Mr. Weinstein has given his typical excellent answer. The cutting off of liability to creditors is an attractive part of the probate process with no 4 years of the Sword of Damocles hanging over your head. You need to either invest in a how to manual for probate or trust administration or at least talk with an attorney in Alameda County.

    Use the web site to find an attorney in your area. In addition to that, contact your local bar association for referral to an attorney who specializes in this or talk to friends and neighbors to ask about an attorney they have used and liked. Often, but not always, the attorney will do an initial consultation free of charge. You will then be in a better position to determine what to do next. Best of luck to you!

    If you liked this answer, click on the thumbs up! Thanks. Eliz. C. A. Johnson Post Office Box 8 Danville,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,889 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,889 answers this week

3,100 attorneys answering