Public Defender questions

Asked over 1 year ago - Marysville, CA

Are public Defender free? And can I talk to one before my court date or do I have to wait until I'm appointed one in court?

1. Cassandra Ann Rodriguez

Pro

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . You have a constitutional right to have an attorney if you are facing a criminal charge for which there is possible jail time. Depending on your jurisdiction there may be some sort of an application fee to see if you qualify for a public defender. Also depending on your jurisdiction you may be able to go and apply at the public defenders office prior to your court date or you may have to wait till you appear at your first hearing to be assigned a public defender. If it is the latter case make sure you tell the judge at the hearing that you need a public defender even if he or she does not ask you. Good luck

2. Chris J Feasel

4

Answered . Technically, yes, though you may have to pay a small fee later on. You won't get one until your arraignment.

3. Shawn Michael Haggerty

3

Answered . READ THE POST RESPONSES AD JUST SHOW UP TO COURT