Public Defender questions

Marysville, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Are public Defender free? And can I talk to one before my court date or do I have to wait until I'm appointed one in court?

You have a constitutional right to have an attorney if you are facing a criminal charge for which there is possible jail time. Depending on your jurisdiction there may be some sort of an application fee to see if you qualify for a public defender. Also depending on your jurisdiction you may be able to go and apply at the public defenders office prior to your court date or you may have to wait till you appear at your first hearing to be assigned a public defender. If it is the latter case make sure you tell the judge at the hearing that you need a public defender even if he or she does not ask you. Good luck

This answer is for general information only and is not intended as legal advice regarding your specific situation. In order to assess your legal matter properly and obtain legal advice, you must contact an attorney directly. Provision of this general information does not create an attorney-client relationship.

READ THE POST RESPONSES AD JUST SHOW UP TO COURT

Technically, yes, though you may have to pay a small fee later on. You won't get one until your arraignment.

Mr. Feasel is a former prosecutor in San Mateo County (CA) with over 10 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Feasel to further investigate your situation, feel free to contact him thru this site.