Public defender and ASSISTANT public defender?

Adelanto, CA |

Is the assistant public defender able to defend a client on their own?

Yes. In most counties in California, there is an appointed Public Defender. That attorney heads up the Office of the Public Defender and hires a staff of individual Assistant or Deputy Public Defenders who handle the cases. All of the assistants and deputies are licensed attorneys who are fully authorized to appear in court and to represent clients.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Is this the same procedure for Maryland appointed public defenders?

Shamoon Aziz Budhwani

Shamoon Aziz Budhwani

Yes they are licensed attorneys in good standing.

While they are certainly able to, it is very unusual for the Assistant to make court appearances for clients. The job entails mostly administrative duties.