Public (HUD) Housing, No Smoking Policy, & Electric Cigarettes

Asked over 1 year ago - Bellingham, WA

The Bellingham Housing Authority has just issued a memo which reads in part, "Electric Cigarettes: No smoking is allowed inside your unit at any time regardless of the method." This is a change from their policy allowing electric cigs after the implementation of their no-smoking policy (done in bad faith, but that's another question another time). Ecigs are shown to be safe and clean, can they get away with this?

1. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

Answered . Normally changes to the rules or rental agreement need thirty days notice and are not permitted in a lease. However this seems to be a clarification of the existing rules and you will need specific advice for your situation. I recommend talking with the folks at the Northwest Justice Project they have an office in Bellingham