Psychiatrist discharged me when I was on high Methadone dose and knew I wouldn't be able to find another Dr to prescribe this .

Valrico, FL |

My psychiatrist discharged me from his practice , b / c he claimed I was rude to his staff . Dr . exagerated claim and refused to hear my side . I do have mood / anger issues , but isn't that what Psychiatrists are for , to treat all emotional disorders ? . I was on 80 mgs of methadone for opiate addiction for 2 years . This Dr . . disch . me on may 2012 , I must have called 20 psychiatrists , addiction specialists and not one said they could prescribe methadone , only Suboxen . I went threw horrible withdrawal for months and now I am back to abusing opiates again and feeling unstable . He ruined my recovery , he played games with me , When I asked him for help weaning off Methadone fast , he gave me a bunch of numbers on a 2 post it . Sick man .

He gave me a math equation on a 2 x 2 post it. He would not talk to me. This is the same Dr that I posted a question about his questionable behavior, hugging me after each session, so tight I felt smashed against his chest. Also, telling me how "gorgeous" I look.

You can make a complaint to the Florida Board of Medicine here: http://doh.state.fl.us/mqa/enforcement/enforce_isu.html

Understand that physicians are not hostages and they retain the power and legal right to decline to serve in any specific doctor-patient relationship, with or without sound reason. Moreover, if your physician's treatment was consistent with the very extensive federal regulations and protocols re methadone treatment, then you will not succeed at causing a state investigation. In all events, it is unlikely that any claim of return to opiate use can be ascribed to your dr. through legal proceedings or claims.

You have tagged this post "wrongful termination" which is an employment law cause of action and has nothing at all to do with medical service providers' obligations, if any, to patients.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

2. I, frankly, disagree with my colleague's response as it overly generalizes an otherwise correct recitation of the current state of the law with regard to termination of the doctor - patient relationship.

See my comment below for an analogy which you may find helpful.

We are pleased to offer a free thirty (30) minute initial telephone consultation (simply dial {305} 972-5720), or, if you prefer, a free thirty (30) minute initial office consultation. Neither this offer of a free initial consultation, nor the mere fact that the initial consultation may have ultimately been conducted, whether telephonically or at our office location, should be construed; assumed; interpreted; or understood by any individual who was granted a free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort whatsoever was tendered, to have formed or created an attorney-client relationship, or to have created any obligations owed by the attorney or attorney's firm to any individual who was given a free initial consultation, by the mere undertaking of the free initial consultation for which no consideration of any sort was tendered to attorney or attorney's firm. The formation of an attorney-client relationship occurs through the process of negotiation between the prospective parties, the individual seeking legal representation, and the attorney, acting individually, or as an agent of a firm (the capacity in which the attorney is acting shall be disclosed to prospective client, if negotiations for legal representation in exchange for good and valuable consideration are undertaken by the prospective client and the attorney. If agreement is reached by and between the parties for legal representation after the mutually satisfactory negotiation of the agreement for legal representation, and all of its individual terms; the scope of representation to be provided by the attorney to the prospective client has been delineated to the mutual satisfaction of the parties; the manner of payment of good and valuable consideration by the prospective client to the attorney has been determined; and it has been conceded by the parties that all of those factors upon which agreement had been reached by the parties and which were recited herein, had been agreed upon by the parties only after careful consideration and sufficient review of the document styled Agreement for Legal Representation, and after it has likewise been conceded by the parties that each respectively had been presented with the opportunity to have the document reviewed independently by each respective party's personal attorney, or any other attorney of his or her chooosing. If the Agreement for Legal Representation contains terms regarding contingency fee agreement or agreements for payment to the attorney for all or a portion of his or her services and legal representation on behalf of the Client, Client concedes that he or she has been presented with an additional document entitled "Statement of Client's Rights", which is a document created by the Florida Bar and approved for use in matters in which payment in full or part, is tendered by contingency fee agreement. Please note that any commentary or response offered through this site is based on the limited set of facts and background data supplied by the individual framing the question and would in all likelihood require more investigation before a complete response could properly be framed to thoroughly answer the question posed. No attorney-client relationship is, or should be presumed to be, formed through the comments or responses provided to the individual posing the question, as a courtesy, here, through this forum, nor should any other duties or obligations be construed; assumed; or otherwise be inferred to exist and/or owed to the individual who posed the question by the attorney who provided the best guidance possible to said individual under the circumstances presented as they were, including the unreasonable assumption that a full and thorough legal analysis of an individual's situation could be formulated simply based on the minute portion of the entirety of the facts and circumstances surrounding any legal matter, which could in no manner possibly be presented here in such a form which would allow for a thorough analysis, evaluation, or legal opinion to be formed by the Attorney.

3. The doctor has the right to discharge you as a patent just as you have the right to find another doctor.

4. In this situation (and in most situations), the doctor has the right to terminate the relationship with you. Similarly, you have the right to find a different doctor.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me vblawyer@bellsouth.net, or visit my website http://www.millerlawoffices.us

5. I'm sorry to hear about this. Best bet is to discuss with Dohner above.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

6. You may wish to file a complaint against this Dr. with the state agency which overseas Dr licensing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Medical malpractice Topics