Psychiatrist discharged me when I was on high Methadone dose and knew I wouldn't be able to find another Dr to prescribe this .

Asked over 1 year ago - Valrico, FL

My psychiatrist discharged me from his practice , b / c he claimed I was rude to his staff . Dr . exagerated claim and refused to hear my side . I do have mood / anger issues , but isn't that what Psychiatrists are for , to treat all emotional disorders ? . I was on 80 mgs of methadone for opiate addiction for 2 years . This Dr . . disch . me on may 2012 , I must have called 20 psychiatrists , addiction specialists and not one said they could prescribe methadone , only Suboxen . I went threw horrible withdrawal for months and now I am back to abusing opiates again and feeling unstable . He ruined my recovery , he played games with me , When I asked him for help weaning off Methadone fast , he gave me a bunch of numbers on a 2 post it . Sick man .

He gave me a math equation on a 2 x 2 post it. He would not talk to me. This is the same Dr that I posted a question about his questionable behavior, hugging me after each session, so tight I felt smashed against his chest. Also, telling me how "gorgeous" I look.

1. David B Pittman

Pro

4

Answered . The doctor has the right to discharge you as a patent just as you have the right to find another doctor.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You can make a complaint to the Florida Board of Medicine here: http://doh.state.fl.us/mqa/enforcement/enforce_...

Understand that physicians are not hostages and they retain the power and legal right to decline to serve in any specific doctor-patient relationship, with or without sound reason. Moreover, if your physician's treatment was consistent with the very extensive federal regulations and protocols re methadone treatment, then you will not succeed at causing a state investigation. In all events, it is unlikely that any claim of return to opiate use can be ascribed to your dr. through legal proceedings or claims.

You have tagged this post "wrongful termination" which is an employment law cause of action and has nothing at all to do with medical service providers' obligations, if any, to patients.

Pro

5

Answered . I'm sorry to hear about this. Best bet is to discuss with Dohner above.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. David Bradley Dohner

3

Answered . I, frankly, disagree with my colleague's response as it overly generalizes an otherwise correct recitation of the current state of the law with regard to termination of the doctor - patient relationship.

See my comment below for an analogy which you may find helpful.

5. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

3

Answered . In this situation (and in most situations), the doctor has the right to terminate the relationship with you. Similarly, you have the right to find a different doctor.

6. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . You may wish to file a complaint against this Dr. with the state agency which overseas Dr licensing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.