Professional legal advice for $39.

Avvo Advisor
Talk to a lawyer

Prvt Parties Slander-Defame: HR rep. leak/conveyed confidntl info regarding my debt to former employer. MD still Slander Per Se?

Knowledge of this debt then spread amongst former co-workers as "why does he owe $3.7k (felony theft) did he steal equipment before he left?" The slander has been repeated 3x's that I know of. I am a professional engineer so this has damaged at least 1 relationship in my community, and I probably will not be able to be re-employed by former employer though left in good standing. Employer probably has immunity - however could I file a personal action against HR rep and her own personal liability? Know I can prove express malice, maybe even actual malice. Know I can show wanton disregard and prior knowledge info was false (no theft). Think I can demonstrate minor monetary damage (incidentals) & know I can show damage to reputation. MD still Per Se under Piskor v GMC & Sindor v Jacron?

Owings Mills, MD -

Attorney Answers (2)

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Suggest you take McCall's advice.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

Suggest you stop with the self-help. Seems like a serious case with a lot at stake. No skilled attorney will want to step in AFTER you have put everything in concrete. Stop now before you wholly limit your options, and get a competent attorney to take over.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended... more

Related Topics

Personal injury and defamation

Defamation is any type of emotional or psychological personal injury that occurs when someone intentionally harms another’s character or reputation.

Featured Legal Guides

Personal injury and slander

Slander is a type of defamation that occurs when one person verbally harms another person’s character. These false accusations can damage another’s reputation.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.