Providing misdemeanors on a background check

City Of Industry, CA |

I've recently been asked to provide any convictions. I have two misdemeanors. On previous background checks, I've only reported 1 as the other didn't show up. I provided both misdemeanors on the current background check. Have I done the right thing? Or have I just screwed myself out of the running by putting down both?

If you have two convictions, you should disclose both. You'd probably screw yourself if you only disclosed one and they found two.

If you're asking what your prospective employer will do, that is up to them.

In the mean time, why not get your cases dismissed (aka expunged) so you won't have to disclose them at all? A local criminal defense attorney in the county where your case(s) were can assist for a nominal fee.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

Sometimes an employer is looking for honesty as much as they are for a criminal history check. Others have a hard policy of not hiring people with certain convictions. They will certainly not hire you if you put one and they find the other. A worse scenario is getting the job, got all settled in and were then fired because the other conviction was found. I believe you did the right thing.

Hiring a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisement. The information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor create an attorney-client relationship. The information presented may not be up to date due to rapidly changing law. You should consult an attorney before taking any action.

It is better to disclose both.. Hopefully they are old, and not crimes of moral turpitude like a theft.. If this is for employment you should get them "expunged". I think you did the right thing and hopefully will not be out of the running.

I guess it would depend on exactly what charges they were and if they were conditional pleas or expunged or not. Also, how the application was worded is important. Do you have this info for us?

Recommended articles about Employment