Protection From Abuse

Asked almost 2 years ago - Altoona, PA

I've been advised to file for a Protection From Abuse order due to domestic violence. If I do, I do NOT want to request any spousal or child support from my husband because I believe it'll make our abusive situation more difficult. Is there any financial help/public assistance out there to help women in this situation?? If so, could I still apply even though I'm refusing child support?? Or is filing for support mandatory in order to receive financial help?? Thank you in advance for your help!

1. Randi Joy Silverman

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . There is no requirement that you file for child support in order to file for a PFA order. Most counties have a domestic violence center or victim's services agencies that can provide you with moral support. If you decide to file a PFA, you need to act quickly. Most legal aid services will file the PFA for you free of charge or you can file it yourself.

2. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

3

1

Answered . A pprotection from abuse order has relationship to support. It is essentially a temporary restraining order to keep an aggressor away from people in harm's way

3. Joseph Patrick Lesniak

Pro

1

1

Answered . A PFA is to protect you and does not need include anything about custody or support. In fact, I do not find a PFA Order to be the best way to deal with custody or support. Many counties have victim advocate groups that can help you file the petition. Please stay safe.