Protection From Abuse

Altoona, PA |

I've been advised to file for a Protection From Abuse order due to domestic violence. If I do, I do NOT want to request any spousal or child support from my husband because I believe it'll make our abusive situation more difficult. Is there any financial help/public assistance out there to help women in this situation?? If so, could I still apply even though I'm refusing child support?? Or is filing for support mandatory in order to receive financial help?? Thank you in advance for your help!

There is no requirement that you file for child support in order to file for a PFA order. Most counties have a domestic violence center or victim's services agencies that can provide you with moral support. If you decide to file a PFA, you need to act quickly. Most legal aid services will file the PFA for you free of charge or you can file it yourself.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.

2. A pprotection from abuse order has relationship to support. It is essentially a temporary restraining order to keep an aggressor away from people in harm's way

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

3. A PFA is to protect you and does not need include anything about custody or support. In fact, I do not find a PFA Order to be the best way to deal with custody or support. Many counties have victim advocate groups that can help you file the petition. Please stay safe.