Protection for a whistle blower against retaliation

Asked over 1 year ago - Syracuse, NY

If an employee in the public sector reports improper authorization of public benefits on a massive scale is that employee protected under the whistle blower law Emails were released documenting instructions to lower level staff to just rubber stamp cases without seeing they were eligible The potential loss is well into the millions Retaliation is a given if they find out who did it

1. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

3

Answered . These case can be difficult as it very much depends on the nature of the complaint: is there a violation of law by the employer? Is there any impact on public health? Do you have a duty to report? Is there a false claim to government funds involved? These are just a few of the issues. I would not post the answers on this public board. Feel free to contact me and I can help answer your questions.

2. Ronald Joseph Kim

3

Answered . This is the type of potential claim that you want to contact an attorney with experience in whistleblowing/Qui Tam litigation. Moreover, you do not want to publicly speak about the specifics of this issue in a forum like this until you meet with an attorney. Just discussing the specifics could actually defeat your ability to assert a successful case at this juncture, so get to the right attorney quickly

If you are concerned about legal fees and costs, don't be. Many attorneys offer a free initial consultation to assess the claims viability and if you have a strong case, will take it on a contingency.

If you want to find an attorney in your area with this focus, go to either of the following sites and do a search:

www.nelany.com

www.nela.org

No attorney client relationship has been created by this answer.
  3. Vincent Peter White

2

Answered . This is a complex question, too complex to allow a quick online answer. Contact an experienced employment attorney in your area and arrange a free consultation. The answer you are looking for will be very fact specific.

4. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

2

Answered . I'm not sure that is a whistleblower/qui tam case, but I think a newspaper reporter in your area would be very interested and would keep the source confidential. Good luck.

5. David B Pittman

Pro

3

Answered . Consult an experienced employment lawyer and get representation before you do anything.