Prosecuting someone for stalking

Asked 11 months ago - Nashville, TN

ive had problems w this person for years ,a serious of things has happened to me over the years bt never enough evidence to prove it was this person until this person actually came to my house and was threatening me and neighbors saw her outside . Detective called to follow up and ask if i still want to prosecute i said yes, what happens now? Do i need a lawyer if i go to court?

1. Stephen Alan Sauer

1

Best Answer

Answered . You will not need a lawyer. You have reported it to the police. They will review the facts and determine if that person needs to be arrested and charged. If charged, the district attorney general's office will prosecute the person. So in effect, the district attorney will be your lawyer. I say in effect since you are actually a victim/witness. But you are not required to retain your own lawyer. You may if you wish but there is no requirement. If you choose to sue the person in civil court, then you may need to hire an attorney.

2. R. Deno Cole

Pro

Answered . If the person intentionally comes about you again, you have a right to file a petition for an Order of Protection under the new stalking provisions. You do not need an attorney to do this, although it helps. It used to be that you could only file petitions for orders of protection against relative, but the law changed to allow protection from stalkers and sexual assailants. If you do not want to go the order of protection route, you can always hire an attorney to write a letter threatening legal action against your stalker. This might keep the stalker at bay and it will hopefully save you the hassle of going to court.

3. John Douglas Lloyd

Pro

1

1

Answered . You wouldn't need a lawyer in the facts you've described.