Proposed immigration reform

Boston, MA |

My friend is facing deportation for marriage fraud. Will he have a chance to get legal status under the proposed immigration reform? He has never been charged with a crime, but he made some bad decisions when he tried to get his green card Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/citizenship-now/immigration-immigration-law-violations-forgiven-new-law-article-1.1382454#ixzz2Ytu3eNGU

Marriage fraud for immigration purposes is a life time bar from any immigration benefits, including being able to be ever again admitted, even on a visitor's visa. I don't think any immigration "reform", if and when passed, will change that.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Whether and when imigration reform actually becomes law is a matter of speculation. Consult with a good immigration lawyer.

3. Being found to have married solely for immigration purposes has very serious consequences and will likely prevent a person from future immigration benefits. As to any benefits under proposed reform, it is too early to be able to advise anyone about what that will entail. Good Luck.