Property valuation in bankruptcy

Mission Viejo, CA |

What is the best way to find the property value used in a bankruptcy filing? What sources do trustees use to find that value?

1. Realtors in the area. Zillo.com. Request to the debtor's counsel for their appraisal, market analysis from a real estate agent et. al.

2. In most jurisdictions, there is an official bankruptcy appraiser for personal property, such as cars, furniture, business inventory. The Trustee can provide you with the name of the local appraiser.

For real estate, there is quite a bit of variation throughout the US. In Nevada, we must use a certified appraiser for any motions. For filing the petition, we can use Zillow or the BOA Cyberhomes cite.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. Depending on the trustee, the trustee may obtain a broker's price opinion for a range of values, conduct his own appraisal or put the property on the market for sale to determine what a buyer would actually pay.

If you are considering filing for bankruptcy it is imperative you seek competent legal counsel as you are dealing with the most important financial asset and liability of your life.

----
    Avvo disclaimer

I have been quoted and written about by CBS Marketwatch regarding related areas of law. You can search my educational video links on youtube.com or by going to my website at www.gwesq.com To see some of these articles written about me and my practice, please visit my blog. See below for the link.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO terms and conditions. It discusses general legal principles and considerations and is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Attorney Gerald Wolfe
    Law Office of Gerald Wolfe
    19600 Fairchild Road, Suite 295
    Irvine, CA 92612
    (949)257-0961