Skip to main content

Property theft held for ransom

Kingsport, TN |

A fairly expensive item of mine was stolen by someone I know. Lets say they stole it from Location A. They then moved the item and stored it in Location B. After that is when I learned of my item being stolen and who stole it. This person lives in Location C.

I contacted the person and told them I knew of them taking my property and asked for it to be returned. Long story short, but this person stated I'd have to give them money in order to have my stolen property returned to me.

Due to the situation I'm in, this ended up going on for a long while, and long story short, the police don't want to mess when it when I tried to report it.


What location would jurisdiction be in with regards to my item being held for ransom?

The theft had been done a while back, so it may be too old just to act on that. But the item being stored for ransom is essentially on-going. Just don't know what location has jurisdiction on the ransom? Item stolen from Location A. Item immediately taken and stored in Location B then person wanted ransom after item was stored in Location B. Person who stole item and stored it for ransom made their ransom demands from Location C. A, B, and C are different towns and thus different jurisdiction locations. Police want me to handle it through civil court. So thought of going that route to get the stolen property back, but don't know what jurisdiction to file under since there are 3 different locations involved. Also may file for other damages due to the ransom demands, so unsure what jurisdiction I'd file that under?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. I don't think you need to be worried about ransom. You simply need to find local counsel and file a lawsuit for the return of your property. If the police won't take out a warrant for theft, it sounds like there may be more facts to the story than you are telling here. Good Luck.

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for information only. Call me or another attorney to represent you.

  2. There are way too many unknowns to give you an educated answer. I would consult with a local attorney and explain the entire case to them. That way the can explain the pros and cons of litigation and jurisdictional issues.

    "Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."

  3. Just handle through civil court. If the police will not go the other route, then you have no choice. This is what we call a "replevin" type of action. Very likely you will need an attorney IF the property is even worth pursuing.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics