Property Tax, Transfer Of Ownership, Tax Assessment

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

In California, a property's tax base is reassessed at the "market" value upon change of ownership. Suppose Peter owns a house, with the tax base at $400,000, and the market value at $1,000,000. Then he sells half the house to Michael for $500,000. What is the tax base for Peter?

1. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

1

Answered . The best way to get an answer to this specific question is to contact the tax assessor and ask them. Or go see a local real estate attorney who can review your specific factual situation.

2. Richard Gordon Stack

1

Answered . Your assumption that a property's tax base is reassessed at "market" value upon a change of ownership is not entirely correct. The tax base of a property depends upon the sales price which, in the vast majority of cases, fairly approximates market value.

As I understand it, in stating that Peter sells "half the house" to Michael, I take that to mean that Michael is purchasing a 50% tenancy in common interest in the house from Peter. In your hypothetical, since Peter is selling 50% of his interest in the house to Michael, his property tax base should accordingly be reduced by 50%, from $400,000 to $200,000. In turn, Michael's property tax base in his 50% interest in the house should be $500,000, the amount that he paid to purchase an interest in the house.

Disclaimer - I am not an expert in real estate taxation, so you will need to contact a real estate lawyer or the County Assessor to obtain a definitive answer to this question, as one of my colleagues has suggested.

3. Bruce Givner

1

Answered . Peter's property tax base is now $200,000 for the half that he has retained.