Property dividing in Florida in case of divorce.

Asked almost 5 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

We have been married for 11 years in Florida and I have paid for the mortgage all these years, but the house was initially in my wifes name and we have never added mine. What property rights would I have in a Florida divorce?

She owned the property 1 year before we were married, but I have been paying at least half if not more of the mortgage ever since. For about 11 years now.

1. Joy Anne Bartmon

Answered . Your right is in the value of the equity acquired during the marriage. If the home's equity has not increased, as many have not due to lower property values or increased mortgages, then there is nothing to distribute to you. You have not made clear whether your wife owned it before the marraige. Nor have you said whether you contributed money to the purchase of the home. Those would be important facts. Answering this question does not establish an attorney/client relationship.