Proper purpose of corporation in CA?

Temple City, CA |

Dear professionals,

I, myself, plan to incorporate a C Corp in CA. The name may be “ XXXX college” because I want to set up a language school. In the articles, can I still use the general purpose of the corporation? Like:

“The purpose of the corporation is to engage in any lawful act or activity for which a corporation may be organized under the General Corporation Law of California other than the banking business, the trust company business or the practice of a profession permitted to be incorporated by the California Corporations Code.”

Or do I have to limit the purpose to education only?

Thanks.

1. In your Articles of Incorporation, you do not have to limit the purpose of the corporation to just education.

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

2. The general purpose you cite is acceptable, and does not need to be limited to education. We represent at least one language school. If you are seeking "outside general counsel" on future matters, you may contact us through our AVVO profile.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

3. Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

I agree with my colleagues. To operate a school, the general purpose clause in the articles of incorporation would be fine. Limited purpose is used for specialized corporations such as banking, professional corporations (practice of law, medicine, dentistry, etc.). However, keep in mind that schools in California are regulated by the California Department of Education. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

Business topics